Author Topic: Step cut diamond meets the evil diamond loupe  (Read 29130 times)

Snooper

Step cut diamond meets the evil diamond loupe
« on: October 26, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
Ok, I spent the past 20 minutes soaking my EC 3 stone, took a soft toothbrush and gently scrubbed, gave it a 30 second bath with my steamer... Now, when I look at the diamond very closely it's clean! Louping it? AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!  :freakout: :Bawling: :Bawling: It looks like there's tiny kleenix particles on the underside of the EC. 

I can't get it clean! I know there's tons of cleaning suggestions, but I swear.. Anyone else ever wish they didn't view their precious with a loupe?

The loupe can be VERY scary!!! And I only have a 10x loupe!! I can't imagine what I'd see with a 20x!

Am I just that anal or do others have this problem? I only notice this with my EC, not my princess, radiant earrings, RB, or cushion pieces!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 01:50:13 AM by Snooper »

Offline evilmailjeep

Re: Step cut diamond meets the evil diamond oupe
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:46:30 AM »
Try hitting it with a steamer, then dry it with your hair dryer...will it work?

Snooper

Re: Step cut diamond meets the evil diamond oupe
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 01:49:55 AM »
Hmmm I hadn't thought of a hair dryer... I'll do that later when hubby isn't sleeping...

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
Re: Step cut diamond meets the evil diamond loupe
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 02:44:57 AM »
My ering is an EC, so I hear ya!

It's only 'loupe clean' after a really careful cleaning session. I scrub with a toothbrush and dishsoap, then into a very hot US for a 3 min cycle with a drop of ammonia, dishsoap and windex, then rinse, then back in the US with hot clean water for a proper rinse, then dry with compressed air or hairdryer then polish.

Just occasionally, I can get it spotless! Good luck.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 10:00:34 AM »
Sam I swear by that Polident Foam denture cleanser.   Rinse it in scalding hot water.  Let it "air dry" (if you have time) on a lint free cloth or a piece of tissue paper.    Trust me,  you are not being anal,  if so, then I guess I am anal too...... ;D

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 10:04:39 AM »
Well give that we are all obsessed with tiny pieces of carbon, I believe we can all be considered 'anal' to some degree or other...... ;D

A lint free cloth will certainly help.  I'm interested to hear how the hair dryer works - keep us posted on that.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 12:55:48 PM »
Oh yeah, and the final thing- for really stubborn bits, clean the loupe! ;D
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Snooper

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 01:35:10 PM »
LOL yes, I actually did start a loupe thread as that probably is 15% of the problem :) But I still need to buy this stuff as I'm desperate! It looks (my ring) yucky!!!!!!!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 04:18:44 PM »
You think you guys have it tough??
What about the VVS stones that dust makes look like SI2's?

Snoop, you mentioned a 20 power loupe- which does bring up a good point about grading.
The standard is a 10 power loupe.
A diamond graded Internally Flawless by GIA might show minuscule imperfections when looked at through a 20 power loupe, or microscope.....
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Snooper

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 04:23:46 PM »
You think you guys have it tough??
What about the VVS stones that dust makes look like SI2's?

I hadn't thought of that!! YIKES!!!

Loupes are good, but yet bad :)

Offline jewellk

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 06:15:26 PM »
I hear ya Snooper!! It's darn near impossible to get step cuts clean!! I get so frustrated sometimes but I don't have the patience to go beyond a 10 minute cleaning.

I've heard some people recommend those little air blaster cans that are sold for cleaning computer keyboards, I think it's just compressed air, to blow dust off rings.
Mindi  :munky2:

Snooper

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 06:47:07 PM »
I'm going to target in a few anyway and I will try that too!

Offline tea

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 01:23:25 PM »
Keep me posted on what works Sam. I have the same problem with my EC e-ring. I even bought one of those tiny floss brushes. Helps a little
:willwork:

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 05:08:31 PM »
I was reading somewhere that the Indians use soapnut powder to clean their jewellery. Apparantly you can either mix it into a paste and spread on things such as bangles, leave for a while then rinse off or you can dissolve the powder in warm water making a solution and then soak jewellery in it.
I`ve used the actual soap nuts themselves ( which are the outer shells of berries actually ) in my washing machine. You put them into a little bag and they produce a natural cleanser which is eco friendly and also great for people with sensitive skin or eczema etc. They clean just fine, you get about 3 loads out of the same bag of nuts and they`re chemical free. Maybe I`ll try the powder which is simply ground down nuts and I`ll let you all know if they work on jewellery.
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 07:49:28 PM »
Can you also use that as a shampoo?

Offline DiamondLady

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 09:56:47 PM »
Is it bad that I own a 30x loupe? LOL  I have NO problem seeing my GIA number  inscription!  ;D
Nope, nuh-uh, it wasn't me, I swear it!

Snooper

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 10:00:49 PM »
Is it bad that I own a 30x loupe? LOL  I have NO problem seeing my GIA number  inscription!  ;D

NICE!!! That's really cool! I think I'll hold off on the 30x, I can only imagine how things look THAT magnified!

I really had no idea how hard it was to keep an EC diamond clean! When people said it was "hard" I thought they meant the tables!!!! Lesson learned!

Offline tea

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 10:17:10 PM »

With my 10x loupe, I can make out the location of the GIA inscription but I can't make out the #s. Been considering getting a 2x or 30x.... but like Sam, the dirt might irritate me too much... The table is no problem, it's the underside...
:willwork:

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 10:38:39 PM »
30x loupe, I bet every teeny scratch on the band shows up as craters...wow!

Offline DiamondLady

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 11:16:06 PM »
30x loupe, I bet every teeny scratch on the band shows up as craters...wow!

Well, yup, that too!  And little particles that get stuck around prongs too. LOL
Nope, nuh-uh, it wasn't me, I swear it!

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 10:59:04 AM »
I have a 10x and a 30x loupe.  I have to say... I like the 30x loupe better although I can see more dirt and grime.   It makes me work extra hard to get to the nitty gritty!  Did you try the polident foam denture cleanser yet Sam?    I am really impressed how it cleans my sidestones on my cushion/pear ring!

Snooper

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 06:50:21 PM »
No, but I have the picture Rhonda had posted saved so I can look for it :)

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 01:00:44 AM »
Hairdryer is key, but do not burn your hands.   

Snooper

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 05:01:33 AM »
Ok, while I stilllllllllllllllllllllllll haven't tried Rhonda's recommendation, I did the vinegar thing again, and that sorta helped... But it's not perfect... I think I have accepted that in order to get a proper cleaning, I'll have to visit David :) LOL

I've heard horror stories of people having problems, with(what should be a routine cleaning at the mauls) people having their precious cleaned at the mall while shopping....

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 12:31:38 PM »
The problem with having your jewelry cleaned at the mall is that you have sales people performing some functions with minimal training.  Case in point, a lady came into our store with a HUGE princess cut ring which I offered to clean for her.  I go to the polishing wheel and start polishing the shank.  The wheel ripped the ring from my hands and slammed it into the back of the machine - which broke the shank in the back where it had been sized.  I wanted to die.  Yes it was fixable and we were very lucky it wasn't a corner of the stone that was hit but looking back we should never have been expected to use that machine.