Author Topic: Pave - a little extra care  (Read 13581 times)

Offline diamondjunkie

Pave - a little extra care
« on: October 07, 2007, 03:17:17 AM »
Some styles of jewelry can be considered more high maintenance than others, and pave is one of those styles.  All those tiny stones set together with delicate metal beads can be a recipe for disaster.

Please understand that I am not implying that if you own a piece of pave, you WILL have problems - just that this style is notorious for loose/lost stones and you have a higher chance of issues with this style.

The first thing to remember if you are considering a piece with pave is to make sure you buy a high quality piece.   A cheap piece of pave is just asking for trouble.  However, even a top notch pave setting needs extra care so be prepared to go the extra mile to look after the setting.  Pave is for life, not just for Christmas..... :D

The setting will need cleaning regularly and thoroughly - there are so many nooks and crannies with pave.  Make sure you give it a good scrub with a toothbrush and liquid detergent in a bowl.  That way you will catch any diamonds that fall out.  Make sure you clean the back of the setting too. 

Once it is clean, check each stone for movement.  Use something like a pointed pair of tweezers to push every stone and watch for any movement whatsoever.  Stones that are loose can be marked with a child's washable marker before being taken in for repair, although the jeweler should check them all for you anyway.

Check out the ultrasonic thread for advice as to whether you should put a piece of pave in such a cleaner:

http://coloreddiamond.info/jewelry-care/using-an-ultra-sonic-cleaner/0/

As with any other piece, if you knock, drop or bend the shank of a pave piece, you need to check it over thoroughly for loose stones.  Also, bear in mind that you probably shouldn't wear any other pieces that will rub up against the pave.  You run the risk of damaging the setting and losing stones.  Besides, pave is usually so sparkly and eye-catching that it doesn't need anything to accent it - it will be beautiful all on it's own!

Offline diamondjunkie

Re: Pave - a little extra care
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 04:31:35 AM »
One more thing: don't wear a pave setting when you are working with your hands or lifting anything heavy.  These settings require a gentle hand. 

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 10:24:23 AM »
One more thing: don't wear a pave setting when you are working with your hands or lifting anything heavy.  These settings require a gentle hand. 

This is why DJ's rings don't have pave - she likes to wear diamonds while doing things like putting up fences.  ;)  :-*
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 10:45:06 AM »
ROFL!  Yes I am bad like that!  No pave for me!   :D

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 11:07:22 AM »
What are the best metal choices for pave?

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 12:03:59 PM »
That's a really good question EMJ.  My guess would be platinum as it's more durable but it would be just that - a guess. 

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Offline cherrypie

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 12:05:54 PM »
I've got several pave rings so thanks for the tips, DJ.

Carol   8)

Offline cherrypie

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 12:13:20 PM »
That's a really good question EMJ.  My guess would be platinum as it's more durable but it would be just that - a guess. 

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Three of my pave rings are yellow gold and the other is white gold.  I used to wear the yellow gold rings all the time (not all at the same  time!) and the white gold I wear on special occasions.  I've found them all to be quite durable.  The only downside is that the diamonds are not of DBL quality (all the rings came from a maul store over time).  If I had the money I'd love to have the stones in the white gold ring replaced.

Carol   8)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 04:38:10 PM »
Hi All,
I'd say platinum is the very best, but gold is right up there as well.

Remember, no matter how well a "micro-set" ring is made- platinum, or gold- small stones can fall out from time to time.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »
Great thread DJ!   I am one who speaks from my own RECENT experience.  My pear shaped diamond reset is micro- Pave'.   3 days after the reset,  I had several diamonds fall out!! :-\( I am EXTREMELY careful with my jewelry)    I took it to a local jeweler to have diamonds put back into the setting.  He said when he would replace one diamond and 2 others would fall out.  :(  Reason being is the metal around the diamonds is so miniscule and is used to hold a few diamonds in place, it is extremely easy for diamonds to fall out.  (domino affect)    After several visits to this jeweler, my ring is as good as new.  He actually put the ring in his ultrasonic cleaner for about an hour to make sure that no more diamonds would fall out before I would pick it up.    I have to say,  I have a huge admiration for what jewelers do!  :notworthy:   The diamonds that needed to be replaced where smaller than a grain of salt.   :tard:
   All this said,  I still LOVE my reset----but I have to admit,  I am constantly looking at the ring to make sure no diamonds have fallen out!!   :-[

Offline sassisuki

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 07:24:45 AM »
Thanks for the informative thread DJ! Having only had my pave pink diamond set band for a little while, I hadn't really given any thought to the possibility that it would be so easy for the diamonds to fall out. AARRRGGGG
Now I know better, I will be vigilant in checking for any signs of loose diamonds.

Sassisuki
May there always be love in your heart and sunshine in your soul.

Offline BigRed

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »
Another great thread DJ! Thanks for keeping us aware!  :rock: :gogirl5:
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
Re: Pave - distraught DW
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 10:07:35 AM »
Disaster!
DW just got to work and pulled me over to the side. I could tell something was wrong as she was approaching me. She said that while she blow dries her hair she always admires her brown diamond. Today, she noticed that a pave diamond fell out. She was so upset. I just laughed--at which time she hit me in the arm and said "I feel like I have a tooth missing!!"
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:10:55 AM by djm195 »

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 03:00:18 PM »
AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Did she bang her hand on something? Does she sleep with it on? She didn't use the evil US??  :freakout:

:yosnoop: No, she didn't bang it or drop it. She has been wearing it daily since she got it!! (I'm telling you, she LOVES this brown). Anyways, she wears it all the time, except when she's steaming it (daily) to keep it sparkly. Yup, she also sleeps with it on. (Is that bad?--never heard of that before.)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 03:41:47 PM »
Hi All!

Sleeping, huh?
I suppose it might be affected by how active one is in bed....wait- this is a family forum!...heheh

Seriously, I would say removing rings before bedtime is sound advice- but I don;t think it's "proven " that anyone wearing a ring to bed will damage it.
I do think that some people move around a lit more when they sleep, and the possibility of banging the ring while sleeping does exist.....

djm- wow- bummer- but thankfully there's a jeweler out there that loves, repsects, and thinks the world of you.
Once you find out who that jeweler is, call them >:D...NO NO NO

Seriously, we'll be happy to fix the ring.
It's possible some stones might need additional attention over time due to the renovation....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 03:42:41 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 04:45:54 PM »

Seriously, we'll be happy to fix the ring.
It's possible some stones might need additional attention over time due to the renovation....

Thanks David--I don't know why but I was dreading calling you about fixing this after such a short time. As for the extra attention part--can you give me an idea of what we can do prophylactically?  Does this mean  routine check ups? After making up this ring, I know DW will do anything you suggest (geesh,  I wish I had that power over her :1087:).

*note to self: get into the diamond business--chicks really dig you*

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 05:04:09 PM »
Right- djm- you are MY HERO- The ladies LOVE you!!! ( So do I- and I don't even go that way!)

Seriously, who else could use the term "prophylactically" and get away with it? hehehe

No djm, there's nothing I'd say to do, or not do- other than trying not to knock the ring into things.
Wear it and enjoy- that's what it's made for!

(ps- no need to ever be shy about calling - your call is ALWAYS welcome around here!)
David

Offline Butterfly_Kisses

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 03:42:11 AM »
neat tips , i have quite a few pave set rings and i love them  :)

normally they are for very best and only come out if i am going somewhere to be seen in them  ;D
but i do wear a pave set ring every day to and believe me its had some abuse  :-\
I wear it for work, in the bath, bed, always
really its too nice to wear all the time but it is so comfy to wear and sparkles like a piece of heaven  :princess: :princess: :princess:

I wouldnt want anyone to be put of buying a pave ring if they full in love with it , just buy a good quality set one

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 04:34:39 AM »
Actually I love pave rings and would love one but I`m terribly tough on my jewellery so I avoid them. Whenever I`ve ordered anything from David I`ve always gone for the more chunky shank and settings. Maybe one day I`ll go for it and I once saw a lovely pave ring with a sapphire in it and would love one just like it.
Lynne
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline candy23

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 08:30:29 AM »
What are the best metal choices for pave?

It's Platinum - I believe it good to have a platinum for pave rather than white or yellow gold.  :)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 01:53:53 PM »
Although platinum is the best metal, 18kt is a close enough second that we don;t discourage folks who have that preference.
We advise them platinum is the ultimate, but we'd done literally hundreds in 14 and 18kt white and yellow with no problems.
David

Offline NolaD

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 09:36:04 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to make sure to take better care of my pave set engageemnt ring :sultan: Hopefully no diamodns pop out  ;D