Author Topic: Using an Ultra-Sonic cleaner  (Read 4991 times)

Offline diamondjunkie

Using an Ultra-Sonic cleaner
« on: September 25, 2007, 05:23:17 PM »
So you just bought yourself an Ultra-Sonic cleaner and you're wondering how to use it or what can go in it.  Well, US cleaners are wonderful for shaking loose hard to reach dirt but they are also wonderful for shaking loose stones so beware!  Clean your pieces in a bowl of warm soapy water with a toothbrush before you place them in your US.  Make sure you check for loose stones once you have given them a scrubbing and BEFORE you put them in the US.  If they are already loose, the US could shake them clean out of the setting.  Check for loose stones again AFTER the US too.  DO NOT USE A HIGH POWERED JET STEAM CLEANER IF YOU HAVE ANY LOOSE STONES. 

So what can go into an US?  Diamonds, sapphires and rubies should all be fine.  Just about anything else, be wary of.  Certainly not tanzanite, emeralds or pearls.  While some jewelers may not worry about cleaning the likes of peridot or blue topaz in such cleaners, when it comes to DIY home US cleaners, stick with diamond and corundum to err on the safe side.

I guess a good rule of thumb is that if you are in doubt DON'T put the piece in a US cleaner.

For best results, you need to fill the cleaner with a mixture of cleaner and very warm/hot water.  You can get bottles of special US cleaner although some people prefer to mix a small amount of straight alcohol or even a dose of liquid laundry detergent.  You definitely need the water to be very warm or hot though.  Make sure you rinse thoroughly and a quick spritz with glass cleaner and a rub with a paper towel/tea towel will leave your pieces blindingly sparkly!

If any of you have stories to share about US cleaners, please feel free to do so!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 05:24:34 PM by diamondjunkie »

Offline evilmailjeep

Re: Using an Ultra-Sonic cleaner
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:24:08 PM »
Do not use in areas with counters that get wet easily, like the bathroom...or you fry the motor in less than  a week  ::)

I now have a steamer from the 1920s from an estate of a dermatoligist...lots of heat.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 05:17:14 AM »
Checking for loose stones is good advice. The other side to that I suppose is that I'd much rather a stone fell out in the basket of my US than in the street somewhere. If it's loose, it will come out eventually. At least if it's in the US it can be found! When I first got my US, I found that it was dirt that was holding a few of my stones in place. Not a good look.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline DiamondLady

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
I've heard so many stories of people loosing a melee that I won't use one of these US!! I'll stick to my steamer :)
Yup, raises hand!  I had melee fall out twice using my US cleaner. Both times were on rings I had custom made elsewhere and did not want to ship back to the seller to replace a tiny diamond. I paid locally and ended up paying close to $50 for each stone replacement. (It happened at two different times).

$100 later and I learned my lesson.

Anyone want to buy my home US machine? It works great!  ;D
Nope, nuh-uh, it wasn't me, I swear it!

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 08:03:42 AM »
Just thought I`d let you all know I tried a new cleaning tip and it works. One of my colleagues gave it to me because I was commenting how sparkly her ER and other rings were.
Soak your diamonds ( I haven`t tried any other stones ) in undiluted biological laundry liquid for a short while and then rinse. It removes grease, grime and stains from fabrics and certainly seemed to remove all the gunk from inside my ring. I`m terrible for not taking off my rings and for coating them in hand cream etc. They came up beautifully sparkly and if it`s safe enough to use on our clothes then it certainly seems safe enough for my rings. They positively glitter now !
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 12:42:21 PM »
I use liquid laundry detergent almost every day on mine, I just leave my rings on when I do handwashables....DL, what brand is your US? Mine was a Sparkle Spa...and it died.

Offline DiamondLady

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 12:50:33 PM »
DL, what brand is your US? Mine was a Sparkle Spa...and it died.

Mine is a Cody, CD-2800 and it works great! I don't use it very often anymore but it's great on solid set stones like solitaires and three stones,etc. Just not on pave or items set with tiny accent stones. I have used all kinds of cleaners in it (alcohol, windex & water, etc). It looks well made and has lasted me for almost three years now. Maybe look on ebay for it?
Nope, nuh-uh, it wasn't me, I swear it!

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 12:58:27 PM »
Yeh I just soaked a real gunky pair of diamond studs in an egg cup full of undiluted and they`ve come up great.
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 01:03:32 PM »
DL, thanks, looking for one for mom for Christmas, and the recommendation is much appreciated.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 06:56:25 PM »
Hey Snoop!
I have to agree that putting a micro-set ring into an ultrasonic cleaner is not the best of ideas.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel