Author Topic: Jewelry Maintenance  (Read 21900 times)

Offline sharon333

• Diamonds
Re: Jewelry Maintenance
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 02:47:42 PM »
That is a great way to get rid of older jewelry knowing that you can get new stuff.
New Here

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
Sharon333, I didn't see where you first posted, but I wanted to welcome you to CDI. I'm glad you decided to join us and I hope you'll jump in often!  :hello:

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »
HI. i have a green gemstone cocktail ring that is 14k gold. somehow it has become tarnished (discolored) between the cabochon stones. does anyone know how to remove tarnish or discoloration from gold? thanks
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 04:23:51 PM »
Tarnished between the stones? It sounds odd. White gold may need re-plating every now and then, but it's normally on the bottom of shanks where the rhodium gets worn out. And it should look yellowish rather than tarnished.

Try silver cleaning paste (the red stuff) with a soft toothbrush and lukewarm water. If it does not go away, ask your local jeweler if the ring can be re-plated

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »
Humm, that does sound strange.  Saqsay, have you tried the cleaning paste?

Offline Mikla

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 10:50:58 PM »
I've been looking at various ultrasonic jewelry cleaners on the web and could use some help.  I've learned all about how they work, mixing, sweeping, degassing, cavitation, compression and rarefaction waves, ceramic transducers, resonant mass, generators, stainless steel tanks, cleaning solution, solvents, deionized water, rinsing, frequency and temperature. 

Sheesh!  I'm not interested in building a rocket, just safely and thoroughly cleaning my jewelry!

Does anyone have experience with the professional models?  There's Elma, Branson, Gemoro, Crest, L&R and more.  Are there good consumer models?  Is any of this even necessary?  Is it harmful to jewelry?  Is dish soap, water and a brush just as good?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

:N1i'mconfusedHL:  Mikla

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:04:26 PM by Mikla »
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 11:36:59 PM »
hi mikla. i used to work at xyz jewelers in the mall, anywhere usa. anyway, we had a sonic jewelry cleaner, and customers would come in for a mounting check and routine cleaning. thats fine for solitaires and cocktail rings and such but anything pave,micro set, or with lots of tiny stones............. i wouldn't recommend it. the vibrations seem to shake the stones loose. if you were unfortunate to get someone like me to clean it for you, i lost more diamonds down the drain when trying to empty the water to find the stone............ :N1oops03HL2:
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 11:09:32 AM »
I have aprofessional US cleaner and it does a really good job - better than soap and a brush on my step cuts anyway. That said, I don't have anything pave and Saqsay is right about that, it's risky putting pave in.

I think if the stones come out, they were possibly loose to start with and the dirt was holding them in, but I'm not sure I'd risk it with a pave piece. Great for more robust things.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline ezellad

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 11:29:30 AM »
I just ordered a jewelry cleaner from Frontgate for my mom for Christmas...yes I shop early. Anyway, from all the reviews that I read, it seems to be a good one. It is more of a steam cleaner-type. Below is the link to the machine on Skymall. I will likely give this to her early, as she has been looking for a jewelry cleaner. At the very least I am going to open the machine and try it beforehand, as I only have a 60 day return for a full refund.

I will post the results of this machine as soon as it is received...I should get it next week.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102521397&c=&v=&ddi=/products/5a/1c/06/102521397gx1.jpg

If anyone has used this, or knows anyone that has I would love to hear from you.

Amber
Amber Dee

Offline Mikla

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 11:34:44 AM »
That one looks pretty safe for all types of jewelry.  Let us know how it works!

Mikla

My Gallery Images

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 11:51:44 AM »
great idea Ezallad. steam cleaners work great. i didn't know you could get those things........now i want one..................
p.s. nothing wrong with early christmas shopping...... i'm half way done myself!
 :8:

Offline ezellad

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2008, 11:54:53 AM »
it looks like it will...and ok, and in all honesty, one reason my mom is going to get it early is so I can clean my new DBL ring with it!! oh the wait! :boohoo:
Amber Dee

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 12:00:01 PM »
I've posted this before on CDI, and I STILL haven't purchased one yet, but, I've heard that ionic gem cleaners are excellent and safe for many gemstones and settings. 

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 12:08:57 PM »
trinkette, i have an ionic cleaner from many moons ago...... it vibrates. while mine never shook anything loose, that i can remember. the one at the jewelers did. i wonder why its called an ionic cleaner? maybe i better name should be vibrator.....oh, wait, that implies something else entirely!  :woohoo: :angel9:

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 06:22:57 PM »
Don't worry. Some of the basic electronic circuits have funny names...

How about an "astable multivibrator with loudspeaker"?

To you and me, that's a door buzzer...

Offline Mikla

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 06:39:11 PM »
From what I read, ionic cleaners work basically by electrolysis, using a positive lead attached to the jewelry and a negative lead attached to the bottom of the tub.  Is that right?  It seems a little harsh, but apparently it's not destructive while the ultrasonic action can be.  I have to admit, both methods seem like they are possibly damaging to jewelry.

Mikla
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:14:13 PM by Mikla »

My Gallery Images

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 07:35:41 PM »
i think i'll stick with ammonia and water with a soft bristled brush.

Offline Sparkly-OCD

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 07:53:54 PM »
Thanks DJ for the hot vinegar soak.  I use vinegar to clean soap scum off of the shower tiles, but it never occurred to me to use it on my jewelry. :)
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.  -Mark Twain

Offline Alicia

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 05:21:45 AM »
Jewelry always demand time to time care and maintenance but with regular maintenance it requires a proper care while wearing...

Don't let your diamonds come in contact with chlorine bleach or other chemicals because they can pit or discolor the mounting.If they are treated or altered in any way, it may require special attention and care. Diamonds are sometimes colored, tinted, coated, irradiated or heated to improve their appearance.

Offline NolaD

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2010, 10:14:51 AM »
Wow thanks everyone for all of the helpful tips. I think that when taking care of jewelry it is important to store it properly. In order to avoid scratches and dents, store your jewelry in soft cloth pouches, and store each piece separately so the jewelry won't band together.

Offline lyleneil

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 03:13:30 AM »
Use a soft polishing cloth to clean pieces that you most often wear. This way, you can remove dirt and oils that may have stained your jewellery.Check your fine pieces every one to two years by a reliable jeweller to see if the settings are secure. You don't want to lose a stone because of poor maintenance or a damaged ring prong

runner20

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2011, 12:46:26 AM »
This is very useful thread. I love these kind of knowledgeable posts. It will help me for sure.

Offline brushystarling

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 12:12:02 AM »
I wanted to start this thread so that we all have somewhere to discuss maintenance issues and such.  I know I am not talking to the average jewelry buyer so many of you will be clued into this stuff but I wanted to put it out there anyway.

Just as you would never buy a luxury car in the belief that you would never have to service it, jewelry also needs a regular ‘service’.  Pieces should be checked regularly for any wear on the metal and loose/chipped stones.  Often, this is something that is easy enough done at home but you do need to be careful.  Before you check for loose stones, clean the piece with a soft toothbrush and liquid soap, making sure to get to the back of the piece/stones too.  Make sure you do this in a container with warm water – NOT OVER A SINK as you could easily lose stones down the drain.  Using a bowl means that any stones loose enough to fall out can be found at the bottom of the bowl.

You need to clean the piece first because sometimes dirt can prevent you from identifying problems.

Once the piece is clean, use a pair of pointed tweezers to gently push every stone and watch for any signs of movement.  Some styles are known for loosening up easier than others and we will get into that in another posting.  If you are concerned about a tiny melee, you can mark it with a child’s washable marker for when you need to take it into your jeweler (not that they shouldn't check every stone for you anyway) or to send it back to us.  With larger stones, you may be able to identify if something is loose by holding the ring up to your ear and shaking it – if it rattles, you have a stone that needs tightening.

If you have ANY loose stones, DO NOT use a high powered steam cleaner on the piece!  Unless you really want to blast the stones clean out of the setting!

So you’ve checked everything and you have no loose stones.  Now what?  Take a look over the setting itself.  Look at the prongs: are the tips worn thin?  Have the prongs moved at all?   Do they all still have full contact with the stone?  Any knocks/dings to the setting itself?  Also look to see if any of the stones are chipped and in need of replacement.

One other important thing to remember: if you ever drop a piece, inspect it immediately for damage/loose stones – just as you wouldn’t drive a car further than the nearest garage after an accident to have it checked over for road-worthiness, so it is with your jewelry.

Of course, we take great care and pride in our pieces and we won’t send out a piece if it’s not up to our standard, but no piece is infallible.  We are here to help with any issues you may have – just let us know!

Thanks so much for the great tips about lotion and other ways to maintain jewelry. I am a nurse and I tend to wash my hands ALOT and use alcohol based hand rubs. When I get an ER, I am sure to just leave it at home. :( Sad, but I want to be able to keep my jewelry intact and not all worn out.

My Tiffany Interlocking Rings are just so worn out, but at least it doesn't have the nooks and crannies of a regular band or ER.